Take an analytical stroll through the evolution of psychiatry on Manhattan’s Upper East Side to learn more about the psychiatric history of New York.
- Find out about the journey of psychiatry from Central Europe to America
- Learn about the “madhouses of the metropolis”
- Discover the psychoanalytic explosion that occurred in New York City
- Hear about the Sackler family’s beginnings in “valiumania”
- Peer at the psychiatric islands of the East River, the homes of distinguished and disgraced doctors, the first American psychoanalytic society, and the offices, mansions, and townhouses of medical research and Freudian relations
About this tour by Purefinder New York
Purefinder New York was created by author and journalist K. Krombie. Krombie’s books, Death in New York (published in 2021 by Arcadia Publishing) and The Psychiatric History of New York (scheduled for release in 2023 with Arcadia Publishing) formed the basis for Purefinder New York’s thoroughly researched tours. Each tour is thematic, unusual, and focused on aspects of New York City that often occur behind the scenes. Whether you are a New York resident or visiting the city, Purefinder New York offers a range of discoveries lurking in and around…and indeed beneath the metropolis.